The night arrives silently
as I lie quietly in my bed
it moves over me
envelops me
fills me with darkness
I reach out to it
caress it
listen to the sighs of the wind
like the sighs of a lover
moving through the trees
rustling the leaves
playing over my body.
The wind blows faster,
the night becomes deeper
blacker
the stars struggle to be seen
they relinquish the fight
the night is given over
to blackness
and the violent wind
confronting each other.
The moon and I are voyeurs
of the struggle between
the wind and the night.
live today
live
see all that is around you
taste all the pleasures
smell all the roses
Today is a gift
held firmly in your grasp
like a penny in the fist of a child
unwrap it
open it
take it out
examine it
use it
don't stick it in a drawer
like a grandmother
one size fits all
the color is bound to be right
live fiercely
it won't break
the batteries won't wear out
the more you use it
the more it gives you
squeeze that last bit from it
like an old-fashioned toothpaste tube
the gift has been given to you today
don't count on tomorrow
there is no tomorrow
tomorrow is a sad song sung by a red haired girl with a dog
shakespeare said it best
tomorrow is like depending on an enemy yo give you food
tomorrow is unknown
full of possibilities
generated by today
tomorrow is a myth
the day library books are due
tomorrow is a day for procrastinators
who choose not to live today
whether for fear or laziness
tomorrow is the day after today
maybe
maybe not
tomorrow is not today
today is what you have
tomorrow is a promise by a thief
why waste today?
I am being eaten by my past
I've done nothing to be ashamed of
yet is consumes me
follows me every step of my day
influencing my movements
my actions
my very thoughts are hounded
history is like a ball and chain attached to my feet
never escaped
never eluded
I gnaw at the iron like an armless prisoner
trying to break free.
No comments:
Post a Comment